Stephen M. Marson
4101 Winchester Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27106
5203 McLeod Road
Lumberton, NC 28358
Table of Contents
Book Chapters -- Refereed
Book Review -- Non-Refereed
Book Reviews -- Refereed
Committees & Boards (State & Local)
Committees & Boards (National)
Monographs -- Non-Refereed
Monographs -- Refereed
Papers & Presentations
Publications -- Referred
Research In Progress
|Professional Objective||A position in the field of sociology/social work, where my personal aptitudes, interests, and educational background can be put to use in helping people with a particular interest in applied gerontology, forensic social work, and technology.|
|2017 spring present||Retired: Adjunct Professor of Sociology, Wake Forest University|
|2015 - present||Retired: Adjunct Professor of Sociology, University of North Carolina at Pembroke|
|2009 - 2015||
Professor of Sociology,
University of North
Carolina at Pembroke
Undergraduate courses taught:
- Introduction to Sociology
- Social Research
- Social Statistics
- Applied Gerontology
|2003 - 2009||Professor of Social Work,
University of North
Carolina at Pembroke
Undergraduate courses taught:
- Social Policies and Social Justice
- Social and Economic Justice
- Social Work Values and Ethics
- Gerontological Social Work
- Sexual Minorities
|Graduate courses experience:
- University of New England: Field Work Supervisor, 2014.
- UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate School of Social Work: Field Work Supervisor, 2005-06; SoWo 102, Introduction to Research Methods in Social Work for Graduate School of Social Work; Spring, 2001, 02, 03, 04.
- SoWo 315, Evaluation of Social Work Practice for UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate School of Social Work; Spring, 1986.
- Graduate Program of Counseling, Webster University; COUN 5020, Introduction to Counseling for the Graduate Program of Counseling, Fall 98.
- Graduate School of Social Work, East Carolina University; SOCW 5940, Research Methodology for Social Workers Fall, 94; Sp. 95, 96; SOCW 6711, Social Work Practice and Research for Graduate School of Social Work, East Carolina University; Summer, 94 & 96; Fall, 95.
- George Warren Brown Graduate School of Social Work, Washington University; Summer; Field Instructor, 94.
- Brandeis University; Doctoral Dissertation Committee, 1993-94.
|2013 -2015||Co-Director of the Public Policy Institute (Kettering Foundation)|
|1989 - 2015||Coordinator, Minor in Applied Social Gerontology|
|1996 - 2003||Professor/Director, Social Work Program, University of North Carolina at Pembroke|
|1991 - 1996||Associate Professor, Director of the Social Work Program, Pembroke State University|
|1980 - 1991||Assistant Professor, Director of the Social Work Program, Pembroke State University|
|1978 - present||Established private practice (Marson & Associates) to keep up with current trends in Social Work Practice. Presently, most of the activities within the practice concern health care delivery for the elderly and social science research for attorneys. Experience with groupwork in sub-stance abuse for prison system. In general, primary activities include: 1) Consultation; 2) Research; 3) Casework/Groupwork; 4) Education.|
|1977 - 1980||Instructor of Sociology; Pembroke State University|
|1976 - 1977||Vita Treatment Center, Inc., Columbus, Ohio (Methadone Treatment Center). Hired as Case Manager. Responsible for a caseload that varied from Center). Hired as Case Manager. Responsible for a caseload that varied from 40 to 60 individuals. Involved general casework but also groupwork with pregnant heroin addicts which included child abuse, prenatal care and planning, therapy, referral, emergency assistance and cooperation with medical and psychological staffs.|
|1974 - 1976||Talbot Hall, St. Anthony Hospital; Columbus, Ohio (Alcoholic Rehabilitation Unit). Involved in intake, facilitated group therapy, speaker and community liaison (Currently part of Ohio State University Hospitals)|
|Supervised young children (3-year-olds) Cradle 'n Crayon Day Care
Center as a volunteer.
Student Counselor with the guidance office at Ohio Dominican College.
Summer employment with the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation at Columbus State Institute, Columbus, Ohio. Prepared and placed residents of the institute and special education students for gainful employment congruent to their intellectual capacities.
|1970 - 1974||Volunteered at the Vision Center in Columbus, Ohio; and later gained employment as instructor's aide. Assisted instructor in classroom procedures and the clinical psychologist in group therapy. Volunteered at the Ohio State School for the blind; provided recreational activities for residents.|
|National Committees and Boards|
|Pearson Publishers: Advisory Board for Social Work, 2008 - 2015|
|Editorial Board of Contemporary Rural Social Work, 2007 - present|
|Editorial Board of The Journal of Forensic Social Work, 2007 - present|
|Editorial Board of
The Journal of
Social Work Values and Ethics, 2001 - present
- Founding and Senior Editor
- Book Review Editor 2001 -
Association of Social Work Boards
- Basic/Intermediate Test Item Writer, 1997-8.
- Basic/Intermediate Examination Committee, 1999-2001.
- Basic/Intermediate Examination Committee, Co-Chair, 2002.
- Basic/Intermediate Examination Committee, Chair, 2003-2004.
Association of Social Workers
- National Ethics Committee, 2014 - present
- Task Force Chair, Technology and Social Work, Summer 1998
- Competence Certification Commission, 1991-93
- ACBSW Examination Review Committee, Chair, 1991-93
- School Social Work Examination Committee, 1992-93
- Technology Committee, 1995-97
Baccalaureate Social Work Program Directors
- Ad Hoc Committee on Committee Structure, Chair, 2011.
- Board of Directors, 1999 - 2002
- Ad Hoc Committee on E-mail & Social Work Education, Chair, 1994-96
- Technology and Distance Learning Committee Education, Chair (1994-6); Member (1996-2014)
- Subcommittees of Technology and Distance Learning
- Values and Ethics, Chair, 2000-2006
- Policy, Member, 2000-2006
- Research, Member, 2000-2006
- Disabilities Committee, Member 2000-present & Liaison, 2000-2002
Council on Social Work
- Chair APM Values and Ethics Track, 2007-2010.
- Council on Disability and Persons with Disabilities, 2006-2009
- Chair of Site Team, 2004 - 2010
- Site Team Member, 1995 - 2010
- Ad Hoc Technology Committee, Member 1996
|Editorial Board of The Journal of Law and
- Editor, USA Manuscripts, 1994-2001
- Book Review Editor, 1991-2001.
|Board of Directors, Children's Transplant Association, 1991-1993.|
|Local Committees and Boards|
North Carolina State Social Service Commission, Appointed
by Governors Easley & Purdue, April 1, 2007-2015
- Chair: Communications Committee, 2009 - 2011
|Robeson County End of Life Coalition, 2008 -
- Conference Program Planning Committee, 2008 - 2015
|Board of Directors, Rural Program for the
Carolinaĺs, 2003 - 2015
- Committee on Small Businesses, 2003 - 2015
|Board of Directors, Center for Community
- Conference Planning Committee, 2009-2010
- Advisory Board, NC Academic Center for Excellence in Youth Violence Prevention, 2010-2011
|Robeson County Welfare Planning Board, Member,
1997 - 2001
- Transportation Committee, Chair, 1997 - 2001
- Networking Committee, Member, 1998 - 2001
|Jordan Institute on Families; Technical Advisory Board, 1997-2011|
North Carolina NASW
- Board of Directors, 1994 - 1996.
- Vice President, 1997 - 1999
- Nominations Committee, Member, 1999 - 2001.
- Continuing Education Committee, Member 1995 - 2000
- Technology Advisory Panel, Chair 1995-present
- Conference Planning Committee, Co-Chair 1994 - 1995.
- Awards Committee, Chair, 1997 - 1999; Member, 1999 -2001
- Executive Committee, 1997- 1999.
- Legislative Committee, Member 2008 - 2010
Southeastern Regional Medical Center; Robeson County, NC
- Institutional Research Board, 2002 to 2015.
- Appointed Chair, 2010-2015.
- SGH Health Horizons Advisory Board, 1984 - 2008.
- Robeson County Hospice Advisory Board, 1987 - 2008
- Palliative Care Advisory Committee, 2010 - present
- Medical Ethics Committee, 2014 - present.
|Board of Directors, Rural Advancement Fund
Justice Project; Robeson County, NC
- Executive Board [Secretary], 1984 to 1989
- Board of Directors, 1981 to 1991.
|1981 - 1991||
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina. Ph.D. May,
Minor: Social Work (UNC-Chapel Hill)
Specialties: Sociology of Aging
Doctoral Dissertation: The Utility of a Marxian Framework for the Sociology of Aging.
|1974 - 1976||
The Ohio State
University, Columbus, Ohio. M.S.W., July, 1976.
Completed program of courses which led to specialization in Social Work with emphasis in Human Sexuality. First year's field work was at Logan-Champaign Guidance Clinic, Inc. (Urbana, Ohio) where I was involved in individual, family and group therapy. Also involved in community work, i.e., instructed community volunteers to answer crisis phone line, in-service training at retirement home and similar consultations. Second year of field work was at Dodd Hall, the physical medicine facility of The Ohio State University Hospital complex. Duties included preparing disabled individuals (usually paralysis) for a new way of life.
Master's Thesis: Identifying Variables Related Successful Treatment in an In-patient Alcoholic Rehabilitation Facility
Dominican University, Columbus, Ohio. B.A. in Liberal Arts, July
Majors: Sociology and Social Welfare
Completed field work at the Ohio Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation and obtained employment with that agency
|1970 - 1971||Rio Grande University, Rio Grande, Ohio (no major).|
Blind referee for The Gerontologist, 2016.